Bmax Comes Alive

I reckon that Bmax fellow swings by this corner now and then

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

600 lbs of Sin

This past weekend, I headed down to LA to catch a Yonder Mountain String Band show with my old friends, Lindsey and Chris. It was a real hootenanny, but since the show was on the Sunset Strip they weren't quite as hootenannied out as this.


Nevertheless, they played two seriously rocking sets. I mean, when was the last time you heard a bluegrass cover of Talking Heads' Girlfriend is Better? It was also by far the best crowd of any concert I've been to in California. You gotta hand it to hippies, they love them some music.

After the gracious hosting of the Byer's family (so much yummy food), Chris and I went out to explore LA's desert origins, no wait, that was on the radio, we explored LA's prehistoric origins. Thats right, in the middle of LA there are bubbling tar pits filled with skeletons from crazy beasts such as the Mammuthus columbi, Smilodon fatalis and the Canis dirus or dreaded Dire Wolf.


While I'm on the subject of bubbling black substances, my friend Paul gave us a generous gift of Coke Blak for our drive home.


For those readers not familiar with Coke Blak, let me tell you a little bit about it:

At the Coke Blak Factory, the crude oil has been seeping out of the ground through conduits and fissures in the coastal plain sediments for the past 40,000 years, the seeps forming pools in low-lying areas.

Fresh sediments from the surrounding hills continued to form new layers of sediments on top of the older ones and asphalt continued to seep to the surface. Over tens of thousands of years, this produced the cone-shaped asphalt deposits found in Coke Blak.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Ian Richard said…

    Mmm...Coke Blak.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was really exicited about Coke Blak. I bought 4 of them once i finally found some. The first one was difficult to drink. The second went down much smoother. But all in all Coke has failed with this awesome concept. Give me some fucking Crystal Pepsi or Crystal Gravy.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey JoeG, how about Coke Dego Wop?

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ian Richard said…

    Dear Anonymous, Ouch. You're dissing my friend, and if I knew who you were I'd make some ethnic slur at your expense.

    Dear Joey G., Don't you have a Y2K stash of Crystal Pepsi we can raid?

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Bmax said…

    Hey Joe,

    If you've got a secret stash, you should break it out when I'm back over Memorial Day weekend along with some Tahitian Treat.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my stash became not so secret and was ransacked by hobos. those fuckers ruined me. the tahitian treat on the other hand will be procured.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home