Bmax Comes Alive

I reckon that Bmax fellow swings by this corner now and then

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Q.E.D. Report (SPOILER: Nerd Alert!)

I wanted to go to this tonight, but alas, I was here instead. I did learn a bunch of stuff they never taught me in school though. No, I'm not talking about how to carve a shiv from a bar of soap. I'm talking about crazy tricks that tell you if you can divide one number by another number. For example...

Suppose you are hanging out with The Bacon Brothers and you come across 26,217 popsicles and you are like, "Man, how are we ever gonna know if we can each have an equal share of these popsicles?" And Kevin is like, "Oh Schoty, I left my abacus in my other pants!" "Never fear," Mike chimes in, "We're all equal in the eyes of the Lord."

Thats good advice Michael, but here's a trick that'll save you time and money. Just add the digits and if the sum is divisible by three then the whole number is:
     2 + 6 + 2 + 1 + 7 = 18

18 / 3 = 6
Hence, we can FoRoSoCo in peace knowing that each of us will get a fair cut. No one ever told me about this, and now I'm expected to teach it. There are tricks like this for all the numbers through 10 except for 7. Feeling industrious, I decided to find one for the lucky number seven during a break in class. Unfortunately, the best I could do was a method where you have to divide 6-digit numbers by 7. Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss I ain't.

( despite excellent use of hence in previous paragraph, crossing Mathematician off list of future job possibilities )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home