Bmax Comes Alive

I reckon that Bmax fellow swings by this corner now and then

Sunday, June 26, 2005

How many fags does it take...

( Legal Disclaimer: The above title is a lame play off the previous post's title "How many flags does it take..." and in no way reflects the author's opinions of those who may in fact be homo-gay. )
Today, I attended the LGBT Pride Parade over in San Francisco. Now when I first came to California, my grandfather warned me of the three dangers I would face out West. He said, "You can't go to California; it's full of commies, druggies and homos." So, this could have definitely been a dangerous situation. Luckily, "Safety Kurt" was on hand to keep everything safe and sound. Though, to be honest, Safety Kurt spent most of his time posing, dancing, or making funny jokes during gaps in the parade. Nevertheless, I felt much safer knowing to look for the man in a bright yellow shirt and tight cutoffs if anything got a little too scary.

All in all, it was a pretty fun parade. Some highlights included Dykes on Bikes, Cheer SF, a school rock band doing a version of "School's Out" with altered lyrics and a surprise appearance by the Raelians. The nice thing about it, is the only uniting theme is pride. So, you get to see people from all walks of life and cultures who just happen to be Lesbian Gay Bi or Tranny. There were pretty people, ugly people, fat people, skinny people... wait, nope, on second thought, there was still a disproportionate number of rock hard dudes wearing only their undies.

After the parade, we went over to Chinatown to grab some lunch. Walking through Chinatown on the way to the restaurant, we heard the soothing sounds of a man playing a traditional chinese violin. I suddenly found myself humming along, then gradually singing along. Why should I be able to sing to a traditional Chinese folk song? Because it wasn't a folk song at all. This man was playing a rendition of "Doe a Deer, a female deer..." from the Sound of Music. The world is a mysterious place indeed...

In parting, I leave you with some words of wisdom that I picked up at the parade, or maybe the fortune cookie, I can't remember,
     "Be Proud!
Be Gay!
If you can't be Gay,
Then be Fabulous!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home