Bmax Comes Alive

I reckon that Bmax fellow swings by this corner now and then

Thursday, February 16, 2006

How are things?

In America, people usually great each other with "What's up?" "How's it going?" or something in that vein. That is not the case across the pond we call the Atlantic. I base this assumption on the form of greeting exclusively employed by a new Irish postdoc in my research group; "How are things?"

Its don't think its a greeting I've heard before and I'm never quite sure how to reply. Is it "Things are...good?" or "I'm good, but things are just so-so." If you've got any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Speaking of bright ideas, if you don't have an idea of what to get me for my birthday next Tuesday, don't fret. I've done the searching for you and picked out exactly what I want. And the best part is you don't even have to leave your home to go to the post office. It's all taken care of for you.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bmax.

    In Aussie it is just as weird. People ask you "How ya goin"

    and the response always and still feels akward to me.

    Responses such as "going well" or
    "i am going okay" just dont seem to flow well.

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Only one response you can give: GREAT!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home